5 top SEO and small business marketing ideas for 2012
"Want new ideas for SEO and small business marketing in 2012?" Small business SEO and marketing must adapt to Google's Panda and Penguin algorithm updates, as well as the inclusion of paid product search results, or risk being left behind.
While it can be a pain to constantly monitor changes to SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and the SEM (Search Engine Marketing) industry as a whole, there are plenty of opportunities to get ahead if you do.
This article will show you five awesome SEO and marketing ideas, that take into account the latest changes to search, social media and Internet marketing, to help your online business succeed in 2012 and beyond.
SEO and small business marketing ideas, 2012
SEO and Internet marketing for small business is an exciting and changing world that can drive traffic, sales and online revenue for any small business. If you aren't familiar with SEO or Internet marketing for small business or eCommerce sites, I recommend you read the following articles first:
- What is SEO? Here's the ultimate small business SEO guide
- Small business SEO & Internet marketing strategy guide, 2012
1. Use local SEO for higher quality traffic
Local SEO is becoming more and more important. Optimizing your business website or blog to capture more local traffic has a number of direct business benefits, including:
- Highly focused: Content that is optimized with local SEO terms and phrases (i.e. instead of "small business meetup", you use "small business meetup, New York") brings more engaged traffic from organic search
- Higher PageRank: Localized SEO content ranks higher in search results for localized searches
- Google favors "local": As time goes by, Google leans towards providing local content as it is generally more relevant to searchers
You can more about how to implement local SEO by reading "Local SEO guide: How to refine local search terms to master Google search".
2. Find opportunity with Google Shopping
If your business involves eCommerce - selling products online - then it is absolutely vital that you learn everything possible about Google Shopping.
Whenever there is big change, there is a big opportunity for those smart enough to use it to their advantage. While the eCommerce and online stores of the world are getting to grips with what paid product search is and how it is used, you stand to benefit by getting in early.
Mastering Google shopping involves the same skills required for excellent SEO mixed with killer Google Adwords skills. In effect you want to invest as little as possible (by finding the cheapest keywords), but get the highest return (by finding the most relevant keywords).
3. Maximize ROI with local marketing
Local marketing basically describes any marketing related activity you can do within your town, city or state. Local marketing can be effective at driving a high ROI (Return On Investment) because these activities can often be done by yourself instead of paying for expensive marketing or advertising services.
Local marketing activities include, but aren't limited to:
- Advertising on local message boards
- Claiming your business in Google places
- Speaking at local conferences
- Attending local business networking events
- Soliciting coverage in local news and media
Remember that even if your business aspirations lean towards global domination, the contacts and business connections generated locally may well lead to greater opportunities down the line.
First dominate the local market, then use it as a platform to take on regional, national or international markets.
4. Write and promote a free business eBook
Writing and promoting a fee eBook is one of my favorite marketing activities. Not only can the eBook be used to up-sell, cross-sell, market and promote your business and its products and services, but the act of promoting and marketing the eBook online provides invaluable Internet marketing experience.
The business advantages of writing and promoting an eBook are numerous, and not limited to the following:
- Provide a quick and easy entrance into your "sales funnel"
- "Free" offers are easier to market - if you can't shift a free eBook, how are you going to shift paid goods?
- High quality eBooks build authority and trust
- High quality eBooks can spread virally, leading to a massive increase in online traffic
Creating a free eBook doesn't have to take up too much time and effort either. After all, you should only ever be writing about topics related to your business, which, hopefully, you are an expert in already.
5. Increase social influence and engagement
I know, "increasing social influence and engagement" is easier said than done. But, social influence is going to continue to increase in importance, and succeeding in this arena will provide great value for your business in the years to come.
Building up a network of fans, customers and followers will also bring benefits outside of the scope of social media. For example, Twitter followers often re-post or reference articles in other parts of the Web, helping to build up a large body of organic backlinks - something that is crucial for SEO.
The following articles and resources will tell you everything you need to know about dominating social media marketing:
- The top five tips that teach you how to rock social media
- SEO and social marketing resources to grow your small business quickly
- How best to target new social, marketing, business or blogging connections
- Talking about other people is the most powerful way to get more traffic
Are you marketing a small business online? Have you had any success with unusual or innovative SEO techniques? Share your Internet marketing and SEO tips and experiences in the comments, or join me on Twitter or LinkedIn to continue the conversation.
Want great posts like this every day?
Follow WSM4B for the best business ideas, plus tips to build & market your business.
Get free help for your business on everything from building websites to marketing & SEO.