How to turn small business ideas into online stores in 2012
Having a great small business idea can be exciting, but the challenges involved in converting the idea into a fully operation online home based business can sometimes be daunting.
Despite the current economic climate, it is easier than ever to build and operate a thriving home based business. If you're still undecided as to what home business you want to start, check out "Top 10 best home based business ideas to make money online in 2012".
Making money online is both challenging and hugely rewarding. Being successful at your own business should be great motivation during the lean startup phase.
Before we get on with the guide, it's important to note that, as with any type of business, an online home based business will cost a bit of money and plenty of time and effort.
In order to be successful, you must be prepared to commit time, energy and some finances. But hey, the opportunity is always there, and the rewards are all yours, so it's definitely worth it!
Guide to starting an online home based business
This guide will show you how to research and plan your home business, find the best Web solutions to meet your business requirements in the most affordable and efficient way, and then how to grow your business using the latest marketing techniques.
1. Research & planning
With a great small business idea in hand, the temptation to rush into things can be overwhelming, but it's worth doing things properly at the start:
- Research demand and competition: Who else is doing what you do, or something similar? How successful are they? Is there evidence that people are buying what you're selling?
- Know your market: Understand who the people are who might want to buy your products. Where are they? How do you find them? What do they like?
- Supply chain & logistics: How will you manufacture and supply products? How will the products be stored - garage or warehouse?
- Tax, finances & incentives: Will the bank give you a loan? Does your state offer tax breaks? Are there small business grants and loans that you qualify for?
- Requirements: What software do you need? What business equipment? Office supplies?
The following small business articles and resources provide more detailed information about the above points:
- The five stages of launching a successful Internet startup
- Top 10 small business software products, 2012
- Five money-saving products and services for the modern small business and office
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
- Business equipment & office supplies free quote
2. Startup & operations
Oddly enough, this is one of the easiest aspects of starting a home based online store - even though it is the part that most people are apprehensive about.
eCommerce web platforms and shopping carts are now very sophisticated and far more user friendly than the old days. Prepare to spend a bit of money on the right online store software, as well as a bit of time finding your way around the system.
A bit of advice: Don't try learn everything about your eCommerce software solution in one day. If you haven't had much experience with eCommerce, then take it slow. There is a learning curve, and it helps to recognize this to avoid frustration.
- eCommerce software
Another bit of advice: Be prepared to spend a bit of money on the eCommerce solution that allows you to get up and running as quickly as possible. This will save money in the long run because you can focus on getting a cash flow as early as possible, instead of getting bogged down in technical development problems.
The following eCommerce articles and resources will tell you everything you need to know about setting up an online store:
Welcome to WSM4B
"We've got all the best business ideas, SEO & marketing strategies, and the information and advice you need to grow a business and make money."
Connect with David & WSM4B
Grab our latest small business ideas, news & content...